Friday, November 22, 2013

HYPOCRITE

The Story of Hanzalah's Grief

We were once with the Prophet s.a.w. when he delivered a sermon. Our hearts became tender, our eyes were flowing with tears, and we realized where we stood.

I left the Prophet and returned home.
I sat with my wife and children and cracked jokes with my wife,

and I felt that the effect of the Prophet's sermon had completely vanished from my heart.

Suddenly, it occurred to me that I was not what I had been, and I said to myself
"Oh Hanzalah you are munafiq!"
I was so stricken with grief and I left my house repeating these words in sorrow;
"Hanzalah has turned munafiq"

I saw Abu Bakar coming towards me and I said to him;
"Hanzalah has turned munafiq.."
He said
"Subhanallah, what are you saying? Hanzalah can never be a Munafiq"

I explained to him;
"When we are with the Prophet s.a.w. and listen to his discourses about Paradise and Hell, we feel as if both are present before our very eyes;
but when we returned home and are absorbed in our domestic and family affairs, we forget all about the Hereafter."

Abu Bakar replied;
"My case is exactly the same!"

We both went to the Prophet s.a.w. and I said;
"I have turned munafiq, oh Prophet of Allah!"
He inquired about the matter, and I repeated what I had said to Abu Bakar. Thereupon the Prophet s.a.w. replied;
"By Him who controls my life, if you could keep up for all times the fervor aroused in you when you are with me, angels would greet you in your walks and in your beds. But oh Hanzalah! This is rare! This is rare!"

There we have it brothers and sisters, acknowledgement from the Prophet Muhammad s.a.w. that we are merely human, and it is human to be forgetful and negligent. Thus, please do not accuse people of being hypocrites or unfaithful. But if we do so, let us remember we are human and it is our weakness to fail to see our own weakness at times.

Let us ask forgiveness from Allah, the Most Forgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment